Nonprofit organizations are always in need of more volunteers, especially in the Iowa City area. We have composed a map of the 10 most popular nonprofit organizations in Iowa City that need your help! The interactive map is the perfect tool to help find the best fit for you.
Make a difference
- Volunteering gives you the opportunity to be a part of a community and world you want to live in and are proud of. You can have a direct impact on changing someone else’s life.
Become a part of a community
- Volunteering in the place where you live and work offers the unique experience to make a difference while getting a different perspective of the people who you consider your neighbors. Support families, support the youth, improve schools and beautify your community.
Strengthen your resume
- Volunteering looks great on any resume and can help you land that next dream job.
Increase your social network
- Volunteering connects you to people all over the world and is a great opportunity to work with people in different careers.
Learn new skills
- Volunteering not only helps you get out of your comfort zone, but also helps improve your teamwork, leadership, problem-solving and people skills.
- By making the bold choice to volunteer, you are now a leader and will motivate others around you to also give back.
Explore career and personal interests
- Working in the nonprofit sector is not only rewarding, but also a great way to discover new interests and skills that other careers do not provide.
Develop new friendships
- Meet others from all over the globe that also enjoy giving back and form relationships that can have a lasting impression on your life.
It is good for your health
- Studies have found that when you stop thinking about your own problems and focus on someone other than yourself, your stress levels decrease, and your overall sense of life happiness increase
- What more would someone want in life than a free opportunity to make a difference, form new friendships and inspire others.
On September 25, 2016, Team Breast Friends will host their second annual rack run 5k. The event kicks off with a 5k at 10am and a family fun run will follow at 10:15am at Terry Trueblood Recreation Area in Iowa City, Iowa. All proceeds will go directly to those impacted by breast cancer in the community. There will be plenty of pre-race fun including photo opportunities and chances to win cool prizes.
After hearing the news that several close friends had been diagnosed with breast cancer, Team Breast Friends was formed in Iowa City, Iowa, in 2008. Originally named IC Hope Team, they have since changed their name to Team Breast Friends in 2010.
Their main goal is to make a positive difference in the lives of people impacted by breast cancer and by bringing awareness to those in the community. Team Breast Friends also raises funds to support those who need help paying for mammograms and other diagnostic tests.
In 2015, the 5k Rack Run raised over $5,000 for patients at Mercy Iowa City. Later that year, Team Breast Friends was the recipient of the Solon Women Pink Night Fundraising Event. The organization travels all over Iowa to different events in hopes of making a positive difference in the lives impacted by breast cancer.
Since the organization started in 2008, it has raised over $300,000 to help find a cure for breast cancer. It is continuing to expand and is always looking for new volunteers who are just as passionate as to finding a cure and making a positive impact on the lives of those affected.